My Mona

Grape harvest nears.

In "Mona" James Taylor sang about his pig, raised from a baby and slaughtered for the table.  It's such a pretty song about such a dastardly deed.  Never did I think that I'd sentence an animal to death.
Coco Chanel is a nearly eight month old cockerel who declared war on me.  He attacked me repeatedly and threatened anyone else who entered the henhouse.  I tried to find a new home for him but nobody wants a mean rooster.  Farmer Fred had a solution that involved a shotgun. I reasoned with Coco, I tried to bribe him, I stood up to him.  He is beyond reason and bribery and wants to kill me.  Buttercup tried to intervene. Marge and Eloise tried to distract Coco.  No dice.
Today Coco killed a pullet who he's known since they both hatched.  Byebye, Coco.  He's in a quarantine pen eating very well awaiting the stew pot.  Life in the henhouse is far more peaceful now.  The girls seem relieved.
Afternoon snack for chickens

5 comments:

  1. I am so sorry to hear about your situation Hylla. Much love for the chicks and roosters!Happy Fall! I will try to get in touch with you very soon. It has been so busy with grad school.
    -Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's hard to send a bird to his death. Next week he'll be on the chopping block and then the stove, then dinner table for the farm interns. You want to come out for three months and learn all about natural process farming? Link to Green String Institute is a Links We Love on the right side of this page.
    Think about you OFTEN and I'm so proud of where you are!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no, sorry about that, Hylla.I live out in the country but don't have any chickens...the coyotoes would get them I'm afraid.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheryl, they make lovely, easy pets and are trainable just like my poodles. You just need to make a pen with a fenced or covered roof to keep predators out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to see the farm and you. I will have to see what is planned for next summer but in any case, if nothing huge is happening, then I would be more than happy to come out.Thank you for thinking about me and it is so funny, I found one of my large totes full of the oil paints you gave me years ago and in one of the pockets, one of your oil paintings of egg plants and peppers slipped out. I plopped it up in my studio as decoration. :)

    ReplyDelete